There are plenty of different microphone types on the market today. In my work as an audio engineer in studios; on location; in broadcast, and on stage, I’ve had the opportunity to work with many different kinds of microphones.
Though it’s difficult to choose the best microphones of a certain type in a vacuum (without a specific application), there are a few microphones that shine in their respective categories.
Note that I, of course, have a personal bias toward some microphones I am more familiar with. Also, note I do not personally own many of these microphones but have worked professionally with quite a few. For those that I haven’t worked with yet, I feel comfortable recommending them by the testament of their popularity; their praise from other engineers, audiophiles and musicians, and the audible results of their use on records.
With that being said, here is the list of My New Microphone’s best microphones by type:
- Top 11 Best Dynamic Microphones On The Market
- Top 12 Best Passive Ribbon Microphones On The Market
- Top 11 Best Active Ribbon Microphones On The Market
- Top 11 Best Shotgun Microphones On The Market
- 7 Best Lavalier/Lapel Microphones (Wired & Wireless)
- 11 Best Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphones Under $1000
- 12 Best Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphones Under $500
- 11 Best Small-Diaphragm Condenser Microphones Under $500
- Top 11 Best Solid-State/FET Condenser Microphones
- Top 11 Best Tube Condenser Microphones On The Market
- Top 4 Best External (Lightning) Microphones For iPhone Audio
- Top 9 Best USB Microphones (Streaming, PC Audio, Etc.)
- Top 12 Best Vintage Microphones (And Their Best Clones)